Saturday 12 October 2013

RP No 145 NYW French Firmacon Dragoons


Here we go again, and there was me thinking I'd finished my NYW project! Damn you Mr E!!!

So here's my first unit of French that I've painted, two squadrons of French Dragoons for the regt Firmacon. And a colourful bunch they are too, this is the uniform the regt wore in 1685 and possibly up until 1692, when it was noted they changed their uniform to green faced green, that sounded a tad boring to me so even though the French army is based on units that fought at either the battles of Steenkirke in 1692 and Landen/Neerwinden in 1693. I thought it would look better in the earlier uniform.
These were made up of some of the unpainted lead that were part of the deal, when I bought the painted French. You'll note that only the 1st squadron has a drummer and the 2nd squadron has a leader in a floppy hat and the 2nd squadron standard bearer is actually a  normal dragoon with the carbine cut away and a flagpole replacing it,  ok I run out of figures, but that'll be sorted tomorrow at SELWG!
The flags are not by me this time, they're from the quite excellent Maverick Models, if you haven't already, check them out. I'll be using a few of their French Cavalry flags for the period, as its quite difficult finding any info on them.



 1st Squadron



2nd Squadron



Two squadrons of dismounted Dragoons





62 comments:

  1. As always an excellent unit. I agree green on Green might not have looked quite as good as yellow and green. But which ever you had done I know it would have looked good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint! The yellow and green do work very well.

      Delete
  2. Green lined yellow is an aesthetic choice. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent painting - it's a period I don't know much about but the units look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of them interim periods, just in the middle of two massive wars.

      Delete
  4. Very nice looking unit, yellow and green are really good together. I really like the basing...great nation too, but that's another story...oups! Long live to these beautiful dragons!
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like them, actually I got the idea of the green and yellow from your blog Phil!

      Delete
  5. They're eye catchers alright. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Ray. Sometimes you just have to say "to heck with the actual colours, the slightly earlier/later colours look better".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, I'm usually quite a stickler, but the rules just had to be bent for this unit.

      Delete
  7. As always a great looking unit

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian, its Brushgate in about 45 minutes, I'll have my camera handy!

      Delete
  8. you know I love them green!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! They look dapper in green.
    You still paint great flags, Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sharp looking paint job Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. IMO, green and yellow are definitely not as easy to see and hit as RED! Nice work, Sir Ray of the Gnarly Brush.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another fantastic unit. Very nice Regiment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice unit - love the green uniforms as well as the unique headgear. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work, Ray! These Dragoons are very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice work as always mate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And some green, in addition to the reds, browns and blues... nice work Ray! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've not used much green in the armies so far.

      Delete
  17. Squadrons of goodness Ray. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very eye-catching unit, good colour combo choice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look just really nice Ray!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah those flags don't look much like yours. They're nice and all, but yours have got little extra something, usually. Nice set!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some great looking Units, Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always nicely done sir:-)

    Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you choice of the earlier uniform is a good one. The yellow facings really tart them up. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are colourful indeed; top stuff Ray!

    ReplyDelete